Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Anarchy! Yes we can!

It seems even anarchists look to Obama as a comrade of sorts, but these anarchists have Obama all wrong. Obama doesn't want to overthrow any government. He wants to vastly expand its size and power.

3 comments:

dworth said...

As you know, those guys would carry the same sign regardless of visiting dignitary. My view of anarchists is that they don't have a very broad perception of the world and therefore make idiotic comments based on incredible naïveté and really, just wanton ignorance.

Presient Obama does want to expand government. From my point of view, he wants to expand it precisely in areas that, for the most part, I approve of expanding it. To decide what areas are appropriate areas for government, I ask myself if the expansion makes it through my filters. Does the expansion leave intact or increase civil liberties? Does the expansion improve the quality of life for people, ie does it benefit society. Finally, does the cost (not just financial) provide results that are worth the expansion? Positive responses to those filtering questions bring my support. The reverse is true.

Alan said...

I applaud you for your consistency. Your position is a reasonable one. I think we have different opinions on what government's role should be. Sadly, our two parties as presently constituted take opposite and sometimes extreme positions for the sake of doing the opposite of what the other party espouses. I have often wondered if a multiparty system similar to that of Israel, Japan, and several other democracies would work better here in the USA.

dworth said...

A look north might be informative. In these scenarios,
one must form coalitions to govern. There are negative points to this to be sure, there are fewer actions d'éclat, but decisions seem less rash, less partisan, and more thoughtful.