Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Funny money

On Monday, Yumi and I took Robin to her regular appointment with a child psychologist in Taylorsville. When the appointment was nearly over, the topic of health insurance came up. Our doctor, whom I surmised to be a California liberal based on our past visits, was roused out of his lethargic boredom from a string of what I supposed were boring appointments. Here is the gist of our conversation.

Doctor: Many of the nation's health care problems would be solved by a national health insurance program.
Alan: I am not against such a program as long as we can pay for it.
Doctor: It's all funny money in Washingtion anyway, so why not do it?
Alan: Our national debt is already at astronomical heights and ...
Doctor: Well, it was the Republicans who got us into this mess and we have to work through it.
(Alan thinks: It's always the other guys fault. No matter that the Democrats ran congress and added to the debt for 40 straight years, then two years before the current situation, and currently continue that legacy.)
Doctor: Just cut spending across the board by 50%, and let everyone get by on less, just like we do with our personal finances.
Alan: I can see the advantage of that.
Doctor: Yeah, right, well anyway, Next!

The doctor, seeing the contradiction of these two astounding statements, ended the appointment. What I derived from this conversation is what I have always thought about far left liberals. It's always pie-in-the-sky stuff without a lick of reality. Funny money, indeed. If it were that easy we would have been running the money printing presses 24/7 for centuries now. And as for the government getting by on 50% less, do I really need to delve into the possibility of that?

2 comments:

dworth said...

I wonder why he felt compelled to make such a comment, seems less that professional.

What I dislike about such conversations is that they are couched in an odd effort to remain polite yet perceptive. Almost not possible. Trying to surmise via short sound-byte -ike conversations what other really think and what brought them to that point is always unsatisfying.

Alan said...

Of course, I don't believe that all Democrats think this way. There are those on the far left and the far right that have knee jerk reactions to almost everything, and it shows in the blanket statements they make. These are the close-minded people who are unlikely to to consider that the other side just might be right.