
President Obama has said that his main criterion for selecting a SCOTUS judge would be "empathy." Making judgments based on empathy can only lead to lawlessness, i.e., ignoring the law to judge in favor of a preferred group. Nevertheless, we all know that such "empathy-based judgments" have alread occurred - not so much with SCOTUS, but in lower circuit courts. If one does not like the law, one should work to change the law. The role of the courts is to make judgments soundly based in the law or to otherwise determine the constitutionality of a law. If the law is constitutional and one still does not like the law, one should attempt to change the constitution. Empathy should play no role.

5 comments:
I am not here (yet) responding to your post about which I do have an opinion.
I am writing to congratulate on your weight loss. I know how tough it is to do having lost 40 pounds twice and 50 pounds once. I now find myself in a situation where I must once again lose that much weight. I am not looking forward to it.
I admire you for your toughness and determination.
You weigh (have weighed) more than I ever have and I find it terribly difficult to lose at my weight, you are doing it in spite of tougher odds. Congratulations!
Calories in vs calories out!
I have been planning a post about losing weight, but I think I have not lost enough to start tooting my horn yet.
Could someone tell me the key? Calories in vs Calories out....Carbs in vs Carbs out...Liquids in vs. Liquids out...
I have tried so many different ways to loose weight I do not know which is best.
I am preparing a post on the diet topic to be posted on the family page.
I have lost 19 pounds since March! I did it by using weight watchers on-line and increasing my exercising work out intensity. It is soooooo hard! And even harder to stick with it....but I am trying, and having some success. For me routine and low stress is my key to being able to stick with it. When I get off of routine on the weekends...and when I am under a lot of stress, I get off course. Those two factors are not always something that I can control with a family to have to keep up with, so the process has a lot of ups and downs and is easy to discourage, but I am trying and seeing some results. I am so happy that I have gone down one entire size in clothing! I need to go down at least 3 more sizes before I'll be happy with myself. I wasn't going to tell any one since I fear not being able to keep it up. But since you are all talking about it and appear to be in the same boat as I am....I decided to put it out there. Good luck everyone!
Post a Comment