Thursday, October 30, 2008

Excesses of a Social Democrat Nation

Out of Belgium. It's a little lengthy, so read it if you have time.

5 comments:

Teresa said...

That's a very sad story. I don't hear many things like that here as I am very sheltered in my English speaking community. I do hope he has a better resolve. I do know that it takes forever to resolve things here too! Way too much socialist red tape!

dworth said...

Excesses of any ideology are bad, really bad. I am not at all surprised. But in fairness, the excesses of our government both past and present are pretty awful too. This example is no proof that social democratic nations have a worse track record when it comes to excesses. Besides, our country is not the opposite of socialized democracy. We too have many social programs. We as a people are not truly interested in the tenets of libertarianism and libertarianism is much more the opposite of socialism than current conservatism. Voting records amply demonstrate our collective disinterest in libertarianism.

Alan said...

I agree and I don't like the complete laissez-faire approach to government.
If Libertarianism is a 1 and Socialism is a 10, I would be about a 3 on such a scale.

dworth said...

Now that is indeed an interesting comment. I would need to think a bit about where I would be on the scale, but a knee-jerk reaction subject to revision would be about a 7 or 8. Naturally, are we talking French/Belgian Socialism or still developing and still developing American Socialism? For some on the right, Socialism is a half step away from Communism it seems.

Alan said...

The socialism I am referring to is European socialism.